Friday, December 2, 2011

Xenoblade Chronicles Announced for America!










Believe it or not, it's official! Monolith Soft's expansive RPG, Xenoblade Chonicles, is coming to North America. I've heard fans of the game claim that it's the "greatest JRPG [they've] played in the last decade" on multiple accounts. That's saying something. Based on the trailer they have on Nintendo's website, the English dub is the same one they added to the European release. On one hand, I think it's lazy. On the other hand, I think it's great because it adds a little flavor to each character and the world as a whole. On top of that, the voice actors do a pretty stellar job of being believable characters. In any case, I'm glad Nintendo's giving this game a chance despite how niche I feel JRPGs are nowadays.
Here's the trailer:

More after the jump.

UPDATE: Official press release from Nintendo says this game is in fact a GameStop exclusive. However, you can also order it from Nintendo.com. A little surprising because I had no idea that Nintendo had a shop on their official website. Not since Electroplankton anyway.

Rumor has it, Xenoblade Chronicles is going to be a Gamestop exclusive.

However, I would take this picture with a grain of salt because they have Rhythm Heaven Fever listed here as Rhythm Heaven and the release date is listed as March when it has been previously announced to be delayed until February.

Retailer exclusive titles isn't really new to Nintendo. Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol for Nintendo DS was only available at Walmart. As you might remember, that game didn't sell well at all! This might just be Nintendo saying, "We're not sure if this will sell well. So, as an experiment, we're only going to ship it to a store where the customers are more than likely gamers who will most likely buy a JRPG."

As much as I prefer not to buy my games from GameStop, I will gladly purchase Xenoblade Chronicles to show my support for these kinds of games.
(This is assuming I have cash by time it releases)

Quick aside from Matt here:

I was actually in the middle of writing an article about this when I found out Don wrote one. And to not have my minutes of hardwork go to waste, I'm posting my thoughts here as well.

I just want to say that I think it’s fantastic that Nintendo of America is bringing this game to the states. The internet has put on a very valiant effort to get this game over here with various petitions, most important of which being Operation Rainfall and well, they actually won! It’s great to see Nintendo giving this game a chance, considering how niche is and how conservative Nintendo of America seems to be these days when it comes to their releases. It should really please the “hardcore” gamers.

Which of course, is what I want to talk to you about. If you guys consider yourselves to be “hardcore” gamers at all, please pick this game up. “Hardcore” Wii gamers are always clamoring for more games for them instead of the “casual” market yet it seems every time a third party developer releases said game, it just gets overlooked. No More Heroes, Madworld, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, I could go on and on. All I’m asking is that you don’t do that with this game. Actually purchase this game, play this game, don’t pirate it or overlook it. Step up and show that you care about Nintendo and the "hardcore" market you all think they seem to neglect. If you preordered it to help the cause of bringing it over here, actually follow through with that preorder. Nintendo is really stepping their game up with pleasing both markets with the Wii-U and the 3DS but if you can’t show support for what could very well be the last Wii game that matters, they will take note. Sure, they know it’s a niche game, but they still likely have expectations if only because of Project Rainfall. All I’m saying is don’t ignore this game. I plan to buy it on principle. I don’t even know about it or care for JRPGs, but I want games like this to be successful and I want NoA to care about games like this. So please, if you actually care about this game or have shown interest in the localization of it, buy it. Buy it for Nintendo gamers everywhere if not for yourself. 

Also, I would like to argue that my article is 100% responsible for this game and the different 3DS colors being brought to the US. Yep. All me.

No comments:

Post a Comment