Friday, February 3, 2012

Iwata Asks: The Last Story


With its upcoming release in Europe, Nintendo has translated Iwata Asks: The Last Story into English which you can find here. In this interview, Satoru Iwata sits down and has a laugh with Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of the Final Fantasy series.

Here's a little excerpt from the interview:

Sakaguchi:
I left Square in 2003 and after taking a bit of a break, I began working again and was involved in the development of a number of titles. Then, just as I was finishing up work on them, I came to a point where I was doing a lot of reflection… Well, how can I put this? I felt that I might have been a little out of step with the times.

Iwata:
You’d really go as far as to say you were ‘out of step’?

Sakaguchi:
Well, maybe not out of step. I just felt like I was at a slightly different point from everyone else. As if I was surfing alongside the others, but had ended up riding a different wave from the one I should have aimed for. This project came about just at the moment when I was becoming aware of this. That’s why, if I’m honest, I feel a real sense of gratitude towards this game.

I find it interesting to hear the thought process behind developing games so I've always gotten a kick out of these interviews since the one with Masahiro Sakurai on Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Keep in mind, The Last Story has yet to be announced for North America and this interview was intended for its European audiences. However, it is likely that we will be seeing this game if Xenoblade Chronicles is a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment