Sunday, April 1, 2012

VGM of the Week #22

Hey folks, happy April Fool's Day! Be sure to stop by our stream at 8:30 EST to watch us play a game or two for you. It's sure to be a pretty eventful, groundbreaking event. And no, that is not a trick. We promise.

So anyway, it's my pick for VGM of the Week, eh? Well, I've got just the thing!



Nah, I'm just kidding. I haven't even played Kid Icarus: Uprising yet. Josh just suggested I do that for April Fool's and I obliged. But hey, if that quote is anything to go by, I'm going to love this game.

Anyway, click read more to see my real pick for VGM of the Week.

Mario Party 2 was a pretty big game from my youth. I used to go over to my friend's house and we'd play it all the time. It was great fun and still, in my opinion, the best Mario Party game. The mini-games are classic, the boards are classic, the characters where those goofy outfits and of course, the music is great.

I know it's strange to be praising a Mario Party game for it's music, they're not all that well known for having masterful pieces of video gaming instrumentals but the music of Mario Party 2 and 3 is just so charming in it's sort of silly, goofy tone. It works well with the subject matter of the games and I don't think any other Mario Party game ever quite captured that sort of spirit with the music like this one. The fun music just seemed to make the game feel even more fun and I like that a lot.

There's a lot of excellent tracks from Mario Party 2 I could have gone with. This Way That, In the Pipe, Pirate Land and of course, Welcome to Mario Land. But the one track that has been etched into my brain since childhood and that I constantly hum along even when the game is not playing is Keepin' on the Path. I don't know what it is about this song that just stays with me so much. Maybe it's the totally ridiculous, upbeat tone of it. Maybe it's the goofy horns. Maybe it's the fact that it plays over some of my favorite mini-games like Face Lift, Tile Driver and Shock, Drop or Roll. Maybe it's just that it's really frickin' catchy. Whatever the reason, I love this track and that's why it's my VGM of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment