Saturday, September 1, 2012

VGM of the Week #44

Me again!

So I've been playing Metroid: Zero Mission lately, in preparation for a little something special...

And every time I turned it on to continue, I was just struck by how pretty this little title theme is.



Unlike the traditional Metroid title screen theme, which is bleak and creepy, this one starts out gentle and full of hope. I don't quite know why, but I find that really appropriate for this game; in a remake of the original Metroid, Samus' first adventure, it makes sense that she'd be a little more optimistic and not quite so world-weary, since she hasn't seen most of the worst horrors in the series yet.

What I find quite interesting is that the original Metroid title theme is still nestled in there, but sandwiched as it is between these little nuggets of hope, it never feels quite as dismal as in Super Metroid or Fusion. In the original Metroid, it was the other way around; the hopeful part was sandwiched between the more dismal part. I just find that really interesting.

Just a really nice little piece of music. Hope you enjoy it like I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment