Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pearl Pink 3DS Announced for the US.


In their ever frivolous attempt to shut me up and prove me wrong, Nintendo of America has announced that the Pink 3DS, called Pearl Pink which sounds dumb, is coming stateside on December 4th. I'm all for this, the 3DS could use some more color schemes and I thought the Hot Pink DSi was one of the best colors for the DS. Not as big of a fan of this metallic one but either way, we could use some new colors. It also comes bundled with either Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle and New Friends, or Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog and New Friends and will only cost 169.99, the regular price of the 3DS now, instead of the 199.99 the Zelda and Mario bundles cost. So that's cool, you get a 3DS and a "game" for the price of the regular 3DS, that's neato.

But wait, hold on. How come the Pink 3DS comes bundled with Nintendogs? Are they saying only girls like Pink and since girls like pink they must also like puppies? What if I happen to really like the color pink? What then, Nintendo?

Look, I'm not a girl gamer, okay, obviously, but over the past decade, female gamers have become almost as prominent as male gamers, in fact, I know several and most of them don't particularly care about Nintendogs. Why can't the pink 3DS come bundled with Mario or Zelda? These franchises aren't such hot sellers because only males play them. I'm aware this bundle is likely being targeted at little girls rather than teenage/adult girls who are likely more into games like Zelda or Mario but really, am I the only one who sees this as a little weird?

Maybe I'm looking too deep into this. After all, you don't actually have to pay extra for the bundle. You can buy the 3DS just for the 3DS and get a game for the price of nothing. I just think it's a little stereotypical for Nintendo to package the shiny pink 3DS with the game about puppies and kittens.

Ladies, help me out here. Am I wrong? Does this bother you like it bothers me? Or am I really the sexist pig here? Sound off below.

No comments:

Post a Comment